Really easy to make – if I can do it, you can too! Recycle your old, excuse me vintage, t-shirt’s, or your man’s! I like guy’s tees for this. All you need is a Tee and some scissors, I also use a texta to mark where I want to cut. And of course a mirror and camera/phone to take selfies after. There are variations of this all over, so have a look around. Oh, and send me your links to your versions!
- Cut away the neck, the sleeves and the bottom of the hem. For the neck, just cut the hem off, as you’ll change the shape after. For the sleeves I fold the tee in half, then cut straight down, curving around the armpit at the end. This is quite important, remember to cut straight then curve as otherwise the shape is wrong. See the pics. For the bottom hem, cut at least 1&1/2 centimetres above the hem, more even. Try on the top, neaten up your cutting, edges, symmetry…
- Whilst it’s on, decide how low cut you want it in front. These tanks look great with gym crops, so don’t be afraid to go low! This ain’t office wear after all!
- At the back of the shirt, cut the outside of the sleeves to make that racerback style, and cut a deep V at the back. Go deep with it, don’t be scared.
- Take the hem of the t-shirt and cut the actual seam part off, so you are left with fabric. Stretch it until it’s curly.
- Tie a double knot at 2-3cm above the end of your V back. Wind your curly fabric around and around, and tie off with another double knot.
- I like to teak my top after. Lay in half and make sure it’s even, stretch it so edges curl, cut it lower at the front, and while it’s laying in half cut it first straight then diagonally down so the front of your tank ends up shorter a little then the back. A mullet for my Aussie readers.
- Bang, you’re good to go! Go rock your tank at the gym – work it!!!
Here’s some I prepared earlier…..